View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aijalon
Officer

re: Chapter 14 - The Works of Mer

Chapter 14

The Works of Mer

4 Years Ago - Aldmeri Isles, Auridon

Ri'shai lifted her head to see Jone and Jode hanging in the night sky. The moon's light did little to illuminate the passing lands.  Ri'shai saw none inhabitating the beautiful shore-side sights.

It was the dead of night. The Wind's Favor managed to fit into the small river leading toward inner-Auridon. No high elves guarded that passage. Ri'shai figured that the mer were so confident in their power that they did not fear the intrusion of outsiders.

Ri'shai stood upon the small deck of the Wind's Favor, watching as elegent hanging trees passed on either side. She noticed that each tree seemed to be cared for - the grass was cut short - in fact all aspects of the land seemed to be tamed. Little forest obscured her view on either side. Only an elegent oak there, or a magnificiently trimmed bush there.

"The land here, it is so beautiful" Ri'shai spoke, mostly to herself.

"Jyes Ri'shai, the elves take pride in their home. More than most races, this one thinks." Faradin Said.

She turned to inspect him, she hadn't even heard him approaching. He was adorned in black cloth. His eyes a cipher. It seemed to Ri'shai that the closer they got to their destination the less the two brothers spoke.

"Faradin, is Ri'shai a Dar'kir?" Ri'shai asked.

Faradin Hesitated, "Well no, not by blood. Why do you ask?"

Ri'shai thought about her place in the world. She only had the two kha'jiit who cared about her. Them and Mafala, but could you call the mistress of all Clan Mothers family?

"This one is looking for her place. The cycles pass by, and Ri'shai grows in strength, but for what purpose?" Ri'shai asked

Ri'shai leaned over the side of the boat, trying to see ahead of the vessel. She could see a lantern ahead, it illuminated a small dock. The boat's bottom scraped across from large rocks in the riverbed as they passed into a small bay.

"Sometimes we do not know the purpose Ri'shai. Come, we have arrived." Faradin Said.

Ri'shai turned to see Tolan tossing over the anchor. The boat slowed down significantly as it drew parallel to the dock. The boat stopped completely as Tolan threw down a ramp to the small docks wooden planks.

Tolan stepped down, stepping past the dock's hanging lantern to inspect the darkness. Tolan sniffed the air inquisitively, a moment later a broad grin was traced across his face.

"This one smells you swine!" Tolan shouted.

Then Ri'shai saw the yellow eyes, glowing in the darkness ahead. The disembodied sight inspired an irrational fear in Ri'shai. She could sense that there was a sort of magic to the eerie emotional tug.

Ri'shai grabbed Faradin by the arm reflexively. She could feel him tense at her touch. He patted her shoulder, as if to say "There is nothing to fear".

The eyes moved closer, stepping into the light of the lonely docks torch. The mer wore extravagant violet robes, embroidered with intricate golden symbols. His eyes shifted in color as he stepped into the light. His flesh was as pale as a snowdrift in Skyrim.

"It is it good to see thee Mcswine, perhaps you will tell us of your life here of late?" Tolan said.

Tolan met the menacing eyes of the vampire. They grasped arms before embracing, a gesture of brotherhood.

"I tell you Tolan, I never expected this day to come. Surely you wish to be as far from these lands as I do." Mcswine gave them a broad smile, revealing elongated canine's. Turning his gaze to peer upon Ri'shai directly. "I see your clan mother does not fear my kind."

"This one fears little." Ri'shai replied.

The vampire chuckled softly, "Come, we have much to speak about." He hesitated momentarily. "I know where they keep him."

With that the vampire turned. Ri'shai gave Faradin a concerned look. The kha'jiit gave her a wink before following the retreating vampire. Apparently Ri'shai was the only one wary of these foreign lands.

They followed the vampire for a time. Passing homes crafted in ways Ri'shai had never seen. If dunmeri culture crafted homes in oval styles, using kwama shells to insulate their homes. Altmer homes spiraled several stories in height. Each building a testament to the mastery of this ancient race's ancestral home.

After a time - avoiding main roads - they approached an ancient graveyard. White statues of beautiful elves stood like solumn sentinels. They passed through a small gate, and into a mountain pass beyond. Eventually Ri'shai began to see grey and white archways beckoning ahead.

Ri'shai was about to ask what this place was before Mcswine spoke. "It is called Ondil, the ancient Ayleids built these temples all across Tamriel. The altmer believe the place cursed. They are not wrong."

They eventually came upon a tomb of sorts. Intricate marking marred the edges of the stone. Mcswine approached first, placing a hand upon the center of the door, pressing with what Ri'shai assumed was incredible strength.

The door opened slowly, revealing only darkness within. Ri'shai had no desire to enter such a place. However Tolan and Faradin stepped through without a second thought.

Ri'shai entered last, watching as Mcswine lit a torch. The chamber spiraled above, only darkness visible after a ways. Ri'shai did not particularly like the place, but Tolan and Faradin followed without hesitation.

"I have been cultivating these ruins for cycles now. Ever since you left me here." Mcswine said.

Ri'shai thought she could head some resentment in the words of the Altmer. Perhaps there is a history here that she knew nothing about.

"Come now friend, you understood the duress the Dar'kir were under. Perhaps not as foul a situation as this one, but foul none the less." Tolan replied.

"Yes I have forgotten the slight. The Hlaalu have accepted you yes?"

Tolan gave the Vampire a nod.

"Good, I understand that the forming of the pact has caused strain upon the dunmer. They are slow to change, as are most mer."

They continued to walk down a long corridor, eventually descending a large set of stairs. She could see a blue light coming from the room ahead, and as she approached she indeed saw a blue flame burning upon a wall pyre.

"This light never goes out, it is ancient magic, as ancient as these walls themselves." Mcswine gestured to intricate carvings marring the stone walls.

Ri'shai saw more light in the chamber ahead, a yellow light flooding the floors of a vast chamber.

"And this is home." Mcswine said, stepping into the large room.

Ri'shai spotted crystal structures, built into the walls themselves, kept behind iron bars. The crystals glowed softly, but there were many. Then she saw the thralls.

Men and women alike, bald, pale flesh, and large fangs. They seemed to huddle in circles eating upon the flesh of some fallen animal. At least Ri'shai hoped they were animal corpses.

"I see you have been building your forces, Mcswine," Faradin said. "We had thought your ways had changed in your coming to these isles."

"Old habits of my kind die slowly Faradin, you know this."

Ri'shai assumed that much was true. The mer were creatures of tradition and habit. Mcswine was both an Altmer and a vampire. Tolan had once described the Capstone Cave that they had first encountered Mcswine in. The story was a gruesome one, and Ri'shai found it hard to believe until this moment.

All about the chamber crimson eyes glowed in the dim yellow light. They looked toward the Dar'kir with hunger. However, not a one of them moved.

"Do not worry, they will not strike out against my guests," Mcswine said.

The confidence in his voice help put Ri'shai's fear at ease. Ri'shai once again grabbed Faradin around the arm. This time he did not shrug her away. She felt her worries melt completely in his safety.

They continued to follow Mcswine deeper into the ruins, eventually passing a great library, each bookshelf marred with dust. More extravagant pieces of art filled the chambers. The ancient ayleids seemed to have an acute appreciation of the aesthetic beauty. How they would cringe at the condition of their ancient homes.

Ri'shai trailed her fingers across one of the bookshelves, inspecting each tomb in turn. Most of their titles had faded over the years, several bore markings, however Ri'shai didn't recognize the language.

"Come, these are my chambers," Mcswine said, walking down an adjacent corridor of the ancient library.

Ri'shai turned to see the Dar'kir brothers and Mcswine retreating down the hall. She rushed over to catch up. The hallway was blackness save the torch Mcswine bore. After a few moments they stepped into a room with lavish adornments.

"I normally don't need light in these chambers, but I will accommodate for you all." Mcswine said, extinguishing the torch.

Ri'shai suddenly felt uneasy as blackness consumed the chamber. A moment later she felt a humming of magic in the air as Mcswine began to glow with a soft white light. The Altmer reached through black bars and touched one of the yellow crystals. Light traveled from his hand to infuse the crystal. The room was immediately bathed in a yellow light.

Was that magic of the divines? It seemed strange to Ri'shai, why would a vampire wield such holy magic? The mer was obviously not always this creature of the night.

"Tell me of Dro'kiin Dar'kir, tell me of Toothmaul Gully," Faradin said.

"Yes master Faradin, but I must warn you, your father is in no place for a kha'jiit of his age," Mcswine hesitated. "I fear he may of died in those mines."

Faradin gave a start, then seemed to master his anger, "We have no time to waste then."

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Penumbra Forum Index -> Dark Opportunity All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: