View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aijalon
Officer

re: Chapter 9 - Loaded Questions

Chapter 9

Loaded Questions

Present Day - Stormhold Sewers

Wild Artemis struggled to open her eyes. The taste of iron on her tongue. Am I dead? No... The pain isn't gone. But it isn't even close to what it was before. Exhaustion then.  She could smell the wet fur on the air. She was still in that damn den.

She groaned, trying to sit upright, nothing was working right. The wounds on her leg and hand were no longer on fire, but still pulsed with a dull ache. She managed to sit upright, and miraculously, opened her eyes.

"You were out for a few watches. Will you tell this one your name now?"

Startled, Artemis turned to see a broad shouldered kha'jiit sitting in a shadowed corner. His eyes were the only illumination to his frame. They were azure eyes. It was the kha'jiit who saved her!

"You killed to protect me. Then you killed to save me. I demand to know why." Artemis said, putting strength into her words that she did not feel.

The kha'jiit chuckled as he stood. "You think we killed that other bosmer. Tolan believes that he will live." Tolan Hesitated, "If Faradin spares him."

Faradin... The dark furred kha'jiit? Yes. Artemis could remember the menacing bastard.

"Why spare one over another? Who are you to decide the fate of others? I should of died out in those sw--- " Artemis cut off, coughing, mucus pushing from her lungs into her mouth. Damn, my chest hurts. She remembered now the nasty kick she had taken to the torso.

"Sa'rench as always. Tolan will not hurt you, This one wishes only to know your name, then the other questions can begin." Tolan said, stepping into the candlelight at her bedside.

The kha'jiit wore a simple leather jerkin over his chest. A deep burnt orange color. His grey trousers spilled over his black boots. Black spots marred his otherwise white fur. A prominent black goatee fell from his chin.

"So, will you not tell your savior? Surely Tolan could of left you to your fate, but this one saved you. That seems deserving enough to learn a simple name." The bastard gave her a wide grin.

He's surely accustomed to getting his way. He must shoot that charming grin to everyone he wants something from. Artemis was starting to get angry. Like a cauldron simmering before the boil. Mixes-Fate, the name popping into her fatigued mind. She remembered his joy at manipulating others.

She couldn't stop the torrent of rage. "Let me go." She surprised herself with the hoarseness of her voice.

Tolan paused a moment, stroking his beard. "No, This one could not let you go in good conscience. You are still week Sa'rench." Tolan approached closer. Reaching toward the candle upon the bed-side table.

Artemis eyed the kha'jiit, watching closely for any aggressive movement. She noticed several scars marring his coat. Deep inset white lines interspersed between white fur.

"Here, drink this." Tolan said, passing a goblet, which apparently was sitting next to the candle.

Artemis warily grabbed the goblet, inspecting the clear liquid within. It looked like plain water, but it could be a sedative. She took the goblet in her good hand, tight grip around the base. She pretended to take a sip, eyeing the kha'jiit looming before her.

Tolan looked to be pondering over something, turning his back to look toward a violet light glowing in the next room. "You know, Ri'shai was - " He was abruptly cut off as Artemis bashed the goblet over his head.

Artemis felt her body cry out in pain at the sudden jerk of motion. She watch the goblet fly from her grip, spilling the clear liquid over the kha'jiit. The smell of wet fur once again assailed Artemis as she tried to pull herself out of bed.

Tolan now lay on the floor unmoving, red blood seeping though white fur at the base of his skull. She placed her good foot on the floor. Gingerly moving her other leg. Which still bore a large wound in both the foot and the upper thigh. She lifted herself to her feet. Almost stumbling as blinding pain arched from her injured leg.

She stepped over Tolan, her vision blurring from the fatigue and pain. Violet light was emitting from the room ahead. It was the only way out, so she started making her way toward that room. 

She tried to avoid Tolan's body as she favored her left leg. She drug herself to the entrance of the next chamber. That's when she knew she was in trouble. Seemingly levitating in the air, was the kha'jiit who diagnosed her poison, and presumably cured it. She was beautiful, her dark furred marred with streaks of white.  Her sleeveless silk dress draping over her legs to hang inches above the ground. Violet light was emitting from a gem on her forehead. She sat cross-legged in a meditative state, channeling some dark energy that Artemis could not discern.

Artemis stood there a moment. Does she even notice me? She saw no movement, and to the left was another archway. Presumably leading out of this Yffre forsaken sewer. Artemis took but one step.

"Going Somewhere?" Ri'shai said calmly, Artemis turned to see the kha'jiit's eyes were now open. Shining with the inner glow of the magic she was channeling.

Artemis could barely hop her way out of here, less likely was fighting off this powerful sorceress. How did she hang suspended above the ground so? Somewhere behind her she heard Tolan give a groan.

"Can Tolan kill her yet?" He moaned.

Ri'shai gave Artemis a smile. "I don't believe Ri'shai has ever seen someone catch Tolan so off-guard. Perhaps it is that not many live to tell tales of striking Tolan. Are you alright fur-brother?"

Artemis turned to see Tolan on his knees. The kha'jiit was bringing his hand back from behind his head. A streak of red on his clawed hands. "Jyes, this one is fine." He met the gaze of Artemis. His sapphire eyes chilling her with cold intensity.

Ri'shai cleared her throat. "It seems to this one that Tolan asked you a question child." Artemis turned to see Ri'shai narrow her eyes. "Ri'shai suggests you answer it."

Artemis was defeated, these two had every opportunity to take advantage of her and they hadn't. She had spat in their faces, attacked them, cursed their very existence. If she pushed her luck any farther they may very well kill her.

Reluctantly, Artemis told them her name.

Ri'shai spoke, her face taking a tone more motherly. "Wild Artemis. A strong name. The Dar'kir welcome you child."

"The Dar'kir?" Artemis asked.

"Jyes," Ri'shai said, "We are a caravan, a family, we look out for one another. Tolan has seen fit to save your frail existence. He has even convinced Ri'shai to channel her own power to save your life."

Faint memories of blood floating across the air. More memories of immense pain wracking her blood and organs. "What did you do?"

"This one saved your life child. As did Tolan. You owe the Dar'kir more than the wounds you just inflicted upon Tolan." Ri'shai sounded concerned.

"You will tell this one now. Why were the shadow-scales hunting you?"

Artemis watched as the stone on Ri'shai forehead became more vibrant. I couldn't tell them. They won't understand. What choice do I have? If I lie, will she see the lie?

Artemis thought that if she lied Ri'shai would sense it. The air in the room was gusting about, but that was impossible. She must be channeling large amounts of magicka.

"Do not lie child, Ri'shai will know." Ri'shai said.

Artemis turned to see that Tolan had pulled himself to his feet now. He replaced the goblet back to it's place on the bed-side table.

"If you do not tell us, Faradin will likely squeeze the answer out of you." Tolan said, "That is not something that you want, Wild Artemis." He said her name as if it was something precious.

"What does my past have to do with any of you?" Artemis felt outraged, it was none of their business. "Just let me go."

"It has everything to do with the Dar'kir, Wild Artemis," Ri'shai said. "Your fate is entwined with our own."

Tolan had killed those shadow-scales. thinking back, it seemed like the shadow-scale master had even recognized Tolan. Ri'shai was right, if Tolan had protected her, they would come for him, and not just him, their entire family.

Part of her was angry. She didn't ask the bastard to save her life, but looking at the broad framed beast now, she felt strangely... glad. She wanted to live. She had too, for Hellinzi.

"I hate them." Artemis said.

"Who child?" Ri'shai asked.

"The scaled-kin, the argonians, all of them." Artemis replied.

"What did you do?" Ri'shai asked.

Artemis was tired, hurt, and angry. She was breaking up inside. She wasn't going to say the words. She couldn't. She wouldn't. She looked toward Ri'shai. Her eyes aglow. She will know if I lie.

"I led them to slavery." Artemis said, unbelieving that she spoke the words.

Ri'shai's eyes grew wide for one moment. "How many?" Ri'shai asked.

"Too many." Artemis replied.

"We must not let Faradin hear of this." Ri'shai said.

Tolan growled strangely - was that a sound of agreement? "He must not know" Tolan said.

"Know what?" A third voice echoed. Standing in the doorway to the left of Ri'shai was Faradin.

Artemis met his eyes for one moment. She could see the rage that lived there. 

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Penumbra Forum Index -> Dark Opportunity All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: